How to submit a free craigslist post
Follow the steps below to submit a free post to craigslist without using an account.
If you want to post using a craigslist account, go to your account homepage. Select a city from the dropdown at far right, click "go," and follow the steps below starting with step 3. (If you have trouble finding the right craigslist site, visit our list of available sites, and choose the most appropriate one.)
Please note that the steps may vary a bit depending on the category of your post.
Choose a category for your post
1. Visit our homepage, craigslist.org.
- Make sure the location named at the top is where you want to post.
- If the location is not correct, visit our list of available sites, and choose the most appropriate one.
2. Click "post to classifieds" in the top-left corner.
3. Select a category for your post.
Depending on the type of post, you may be asked to choose additional categories.
- In "for sale" you can select a more specific category (such as "bicycles - by owner").
- In some cities, you may select a subarea (e.g. "manhattan") and neighborhood (e.g. "SoHo").
Create your post
4. Enter the text for your post.
This page will vary depending on the category of your post. Important fields include:
- posting title: your post's name. It will appear in the main list of posts.
- posting description: the body of your post.
- reply to: the email address you want to use for responses. Please enter it twice.
5. When you are finished writing your post, click "continue" at the bottom of the screen:
6. In some categories you will have the option to add images to your post.
- For further assistance with uploading images, please visit this page.
- When you're finished adding images, click "done with images."
Confirm and submit
7. Make sure your post looks right.
- Confirm that your email address and the location of your post are accurate.
- To make changes, click "edit text" or "edit images."
- If everything looks good, click "publish."
8. You will now need to confirm your post via email.
- When the system says "further action is required," check your email for a message from craigslist.
9. Open the email from craigslist, and click the confirmation link.
- If you are unable to click on the link, try copying and pasting it into your web browser.
If all goes right, your post should appear on craigslist about 15 minutes after your confirmation.
Need to edit or delete your post?