FIREWOOD "Notice to Pennsylvania Firewood Buyers"
Firewood is sold by a measurement called the “cord.” A
cord is 128 cubic feet of firewood. To be sure you have
a cord, stack and measure the wood. For example, a
cord of firewood can be stacked into a pile that is:
4 feet wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long
(4 x 4 x 8 = 128); or
2 feet wide, 4 feet high and 16 feet long
(2 x 4 x 16 = 128).
A cord of wood can be stacked in other arrangements
as long as the width times the height multiplied by the
length (all in feet) equals 128 cubic feet.
Ensure you’re getting what you pay for by:
• Not buying from sellers using terms like
“truckload,” “face cord,” “rack” or “pile.”
• Asking the seller to stack the wood (you may have
to pay extra for this service) or stack the wood
• Getting a receipt showing the seller’s name,
address and phone number, the price, and the
amount and kind of wood. Record the license
number of the delivery vehicle.
• Measuring the wood pile before using any wood.
Photograph it if you think it measures less than
• Contacting the seller before burning any wood if
you feel there is a problem. If the problem cannot
be resolved, contact your weights and measures
office before burning any wood.
- Location: Lehigh Valley
- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests